From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Amanda Phillipson
Sent: 15 January 2018 14:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Gift Aid

This isn’t how Gift Aid should work.

As a visitor I should not have to pay extra towards Gift Aid.  It is my understanding that Gift Aid is claimed your entry price without you adding an additional fee.  If I raise money for a charity I don’t ask my sponsors to pay extra for Gift Aid – the charity claims it from the amount they choose to donate.  So even if a visitor chooses to pay the non-Gift Aid amount, you can still claim Gift  Aid if they are eligible.  This is just a way of charging more and claiming more money back.  I have to say that I would always choose to pay the non-Gift Aid amount – the Gift Aid amount, by definition of being higher is actually at cost to the visitor, despite what you are telling them.

Amanda Phillipson
Learning & Activities
Hat Works & Bramall Hall
0161 474 2487