Forwarding from Alex Leung at Northumbria
James

Please see below for an opening at Northumbria University, UK. More details can be found at: https://work4.northumbria.ac.uk/work-for-us/details/?roleId=442

For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Professor Billy Clark, Professor of Linguistics: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Best wishes,
Alex

Senior Lecturer/Lecturer in Linguistics or Applied Linguistics

Northumbria University, Newcastle is a research-rich, business-focussed, professional university with a global reputation for academic excellence. Located in Newcastle upon Tyne, and with a campus in the heart of London's financial district, Northumbria University is located in the UK's best two cities for students. At Northumbria we are global in our scope and reach, with operations in London, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and Singapore, and we remain the largest English provider in Hong Kong. The University continues its strong commitment to internationalism, including its valuable and long-standing links with Europe.

As part of a programme of investment in research and teaching in English Language and Linguistics, Northumbria University seeks to appoint an outstanding scholar in one of the following fields, identified as strategic areas for development in our subject:

Language and Education

Forensic Linguistics

Medical Linguistics

The appointee will be joining a thriving group of researchers and teachers who work alongside scholars in English Literature, Creative Writing and History as part of the Department of Humanities.

Following the recent appointment of Professor Billy Clark, the English Language and Linguistics group will further develop its teaching and research ambitions, building on existing strengths in cognitive linguistics, sociolinguistics, discourse analysis, pragmatics, TESOL/ELT, and language variation and change.  We have strong undergraduate programmes in English Language, alongside thriving MAs in TESOL, Applied Linguistics for TESOL, a planned MA in Linguistics, and a thriving PhD community. The English Language group works closely with scholars in English Literature in delivering a joint degree in English Language and Literature. The English group as a whole is setting out exciting strategic ambitions to build deep-rooted connections and partnerships, including with English in Secondary Education, through policy, CPD and research, as part of a wider campaign to ensure stronger leadership for our disciplines at a regional and national level.

The English Language group develops its research within a vibrant interdisciplinary context that is underpinned by the Institute for the Humanities, working on important themes including medical humanities, environmental humanities, activism, mobility and diaspora, American Studies, identity and heritage, creative practice and gender and sexuality. The appointee will bring demonstrable success in teaching with an outstanding track record in research, including a strong submission for REF2021. The post will also include academic administration as appropriate to the appointment.

For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Professor Billy Clark, Professor of Linguistics: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

To apply for this vacancy please click on the 'Apply Now' button through the link provided.

Please submit a Covering Letter and your CV, including a full list of publications where relevant and any documents specifically requested in the Role Description and Person Specification, such as a sample of written work or journal article. Alongside this please complete the attached Equal Opportunities/Personal details form (found at the bottom of this page).

Northumbria University takes pride in, and values, the quality and diversity of our staff. We welcome applications from all members of the community. The University holds an Athena SWAN Bronze award in recognition of our commitment to improving employment practices for the advancement of gender equality and is a member of the Euraxess<https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/> network, which delivers information and support to professional researchers.

Please note this vacancy will close at 11:59 on 19/02/2018
This message is intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. Any use, disclosure or reproduction without the sender's explicit consent is unauthorised and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in error, please notify Northumbria University immediately and permanently delete it. Any views or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the University. Northumbria University email is provided by Microsoft Office365 and is hosted within the EEA, although some information may be replicated globally for backup purposes. The University cannot guarantee that this message or any attachment is virus free or has not been intercepted and/or amended.

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
To contact the list owner, send an email to