From: Race & Ethnicity Study Group (BSA) List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of [log in to unmask] [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 04 January 2018 12:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BSA-RACE] The passing of A. Sivanandan

Hello,

I'm emailing to share the very sad news regarding the recent passing of A. Sivanandan (Director Emiritus of the Institute of Race Relations). I won't attempt to articulate what Siva's work means to me, because that would far exceed the conventional length of an email. So, I just want to say that when I first started my PhD in late 2013, one of my supervisor's suggested that I engage with a collection of essays by Sivanandan called A Different Hunger. These works would prove pivotal, because they provided part of the foundation upon which my understanding of racism as something political, historical, deadly, and intertwined with economic exploitation would rest. I'm sure we're all indebted to the intellect of Siva, and his role in outlining how a set of power relations which we're all committed to resisting and overturning work. Below is a link to a short biography of his life, and his essays.

http://www.irr.org.uk/about/people/siva/

www.irr.org.uk
The role of A. Sivanandan. Sivanandan has been instrumental in reorienting the Institute of Race Relations, from the 1970s, so as to reflect changing politics and ...

RIP Siva

Jas

This Email list is maintained by the BSA Race & Ethnicity Study Group. Visit the BSA website for further information about the group: https://www.britsoc.co.uk/groups/study-groups/race-ethnicity-study-group/