The problem turned out to be a non-ascii character (a degree symbol) in a spectrum name, and also in the spectrum data file name.  Fortunately the backup was ok, so it all worked out.  (The backup had the degree symbol in it, which shows that sometimes Python copes with non-ascii and sometimes it does not.)

Wayne