Dear Jacob,

The resolution in reciprocal and real space was addressed by R. W. James
in his paper 'False Detail in Three-Dimensional Fourier Representations
of Crystal Structures' piblished in Acta Cryst. (1948). 1, 132-134.
James showed that atomic density shape in the presence of series
terminations is described by the Bessel function of zero order:

3*[sin(m) - m*cos(m)]/m^3
where m=2*Pi*r/dmin

This function is equal to 1 at the atomic centre (r=0) and decreases as
r increases, then it oscillates. The function reduces to 0.5 for
r/dmin=0.4. Therefore, the two equal atoms to be separated (in a sense
of having a density in between lower than at their centres) the distance
between them should be equal (or higher) than 2*dmin*0.4

Main chain C and O atoms separated by 1.23 A should be resolved if dmin
is better than 1.55 A.

Two carbon sp3 atoms (distance 1.53 A) should be resolved if dmin is
better than 1.9 A.

Indeed, as Thomas wrote, 1.5 A is about right.

The above is correct in the absence of atomic displacement parameters
(Bfactor=0), for example for the normalised (sharpened) structure factor
amplitudes. And, of course, for the complete and error-free diffraction
data.

Victor