One thing you might want to factor into the discussion is that many prizes are done by committee, which is to say the ultimate winner is decided by compromise. There is an assumption that the judges were all wildly in agreement in their selection because of the publicly issued statement about the winner.  But that agreement is after the fact. More often it’s three, or however many, judges with different tastes and allegiances, and at the end of the day those differences must be resolved or no one gets to go home. My guess is that is often why the winners’ work is acceptable rather than brilliant. In an earlier part of the process there is often a narrowing down of the list, which is done by several people who are not the final judges, thereby increasing the tilt towards acceptability.

As pointed out earlier: they are not acts of literary criticism.

And like most funding for the arts, they partial, not comprehensive.

I don’t particularly approve of these conditions, but I do realize their pervasiveness and how monumentally difficult the task would be to change them.

QS: Let’s return to poetics.
JR: When did we leave?

—From the conversation between Quinta Slef and Joan Retallack, The Poethical Wager