Hi Michael

I haven't time now for a proper reply as I'm on the hoof for some days but
I'll just say a few disconnected top-of-the-head things:

I move in that populated world too, or versions of it. But enforced
obedience is something I resist, and something I know comes with the poetry
version. Poetry, through the twists of time, has developed into the most
intimate of voiced arts, and anathema to the language of the herd, which is
what the ambitious deploy to annex it as a marketable commodity.

I don't know Scott's writing well at all, with the exception of some Border
Antiquities. When I was about eight an aunt decided I wanted to read
Ivanhoe and Kenilworth, I sniffed at them, and resolutely refused. I am
though aware that Longfellow was a very literary poet, not quite the naif
he might have wanted some readers to believe.

I would think the need for clear blue water is one of the many undesirable
consequences of the growth of capitalist societies.

If anyone needs a reproof for populism you need only to intone words like
Farage Putin Brexit Trump.

As a PS I was fairly close touch with some of the people behind flarf at
its inception and they were a) very sophisticated literati and b) intensely
ambitious for their 'share'. Liked some of them but their way wasn't for me.

I'll have a peek at the links when I'm back next week.

regards

David