I have qualified below slightly in a subsequent post but I need to qualify it more. I was thinking too much of my own practice and not enough about others', a common mistake.

Nothing in human activity and culture is an essence, even though I love the game language plays that makes it appear so. There is no single definition of art therefore there is no single definition of poetry. Some things get closer to an available description because of their use, literature for example. So what I should have said below is
'I have never had a problem with treating poetry as an artform'.
and the important word there is 'as'.

When pushed on definitions of poetry in the past I have usually only been satisfied with 'activity' and even 'habit'. This is not scepticism, it is simply an attempt to be honest and avoid stupidity. This is why the word 'artform' also seems appropriate, at least for the way I engage with the thing. If you do not see poetry primarily as an artform but as something else then it is still poetry but it will not be the same because it will be both trying to do different stuff and in actuality doing different stuff (these two things are not necessarily the same).

Cheers

Tim