If poetry is an art form as the article says, is avantgarde poetry also an art form? And if so, on what basis? From what I’ve seen of it has no discernible “craft” elements, and seems just like anything goes, as long as you can find an intellectual rationale to describe your “procedure” (an avantgarde compositional buzzword).

I think the word “art” is overused a lot these days. I have a feeling that the word is seen as an embarrassment by devoted avantgarde practitioners.

Tony Frazer wrote:

Someone — was it Peter Riley? — mentioned this article. It’s not behind a pay-wall, like most of PN Review, so take a look.

http://www.pnreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/scribe?item_id=10090

Tony