Thanks, Tim -

This sounds like a useful outlining of the contemporary 'experimental'.

Robert

________________________________
From: British & Irish poets <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Tim Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 06 January 2018 14:09:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Where does poetry sit in relation to academia, or vice versa?

Agree, mostly - not quite sure though about John Hall. So John if you are listening - ????

And this matches my own point about identity being determined by what something is not, not by what it is. Back to shades of Saussure.

Nevertheless, some of the things that currently mark out a poet as being called 'experimental' or avant are pretty obvious - those who incorporate technology as an integral part of the work (and not just a means) - those whose work appears to cross boundaries with other artforms (this would include the performative) - those whose processes of composition include methodologies associated with artificial forms, found texts, restrictions and chance - and those whose work appears to break the usual rules of language etc. But after that it becomes a bit more difficult but thinking of a lot of work that has appeared over the past decade I would include - those whose work seems to be engaging with issues of language itself, especially as those issues relate to political and cultural questions about gender and identity.

So, have I left anything out?