I can’t remember where I found the reference to Nabokov, Jamie, but I’ll look for it at some point (right now my time is way over committed, sorry). I found it at a moment when I was doing some intensive research on poetic rhythms because I was working with a dancer, Nikki Santilli, on combining speech rhythms with dance. At the same time I looked for the Oliver book, but like you had trouble finding it, or affording it. I don’t remember much of the research I did at that point which is why I quoted the blog. (Memory that disappears when my attention goes elsewhere is also the reason why I write things down!)

The four stress rhythm model is one proposed by linguists currently. They have found, generally, that English (British and American) has four stresses, which can be designated at strong, not so strong, not so weak and weak. Or, if you prefer, very strong, strong, weak and very weak. Though I think the former is preferred. It occurred to me at the time that this “technical” or scientific analysis offers a reason for why so many people have trouble with scansion. The reduction of four stresses into two renders a very approximate map of real speech sound, and people get confused in the middle part of the model – the not so strong, not so weak – categories. Can they be ascribed to strong? Or weak? Stressed? Unstressed? Or where?

As Peter describes it, Oliver’s model addresses a more philosophical aspect of meter, as Jamie implies. Something perhaps derived from the “death of the author” school of analysis. It’s fine as a philosophy, but doesn’t really hold linguistically. If you are a baritone and I am a soprano it may be true that we are speaking in different pitches and likewise if you are British and I am American we may have different sets of accents of particular words, but that doesn’t mean that the four stresses don’t exist in our languages. But not having read Oliver’s work I can only point out the little I do know apart from Oliver. And of course Peter was careful to say that his memory of Oliver's system, or philosophy perhaps, was tenuous. In any event, there’s no reason why the two models can't exist at the same time, and perhaps fruitfully contribute to each other.

On another, slightly irritable note, I find most of the discussion on this list is constituted of analysis, definition, categorization and even canonization. All of which are substantial and essential parts of the academic brief … so what’s the problem? The institution? The calcification? I haven’t been able to read Tim’s article, because I have serious (migraine-related) problems reading white type on black. If he would kindly send me a copy (black type on white) I look forward to reading it.

Oh … Happy New Year again, moving toward February and, in California, the blessed sunshine …

jaimerobles.com

QS: Let’s return to poetics.
JR: When did we leave?

—From the conversation between Quinta Slef and Joan Retallack, The Poethical Wager