David, yes I’d added the negative in that sentence. As I said it’s not an area I feel qualified to comment on. I’d say it’s a general affliction of poets to feel overlooked, common even to those we might feel have received an undue amount of attention. And there’s often a reality to it, when the media only bother if there’s a large cash prize or a squalid quarrel involved.
   It’s all a bit speculative as the conditionals in your 2nd paragraph register, so it might be worth hearing from someone who has some real evidence of exclusion. When you say such a poet -  ignored, uninvited, and old to boot (though 40 sounds young to me!) - ‘may as well pack up and go home’, my response is that (apart from the age) this is the condition in which all poets begin, and most continue. It goes with the territory so you keep on only if it matters enough to you.
Jamie