He didn't mention Pound, whom the class is on.

In the quote, I think there is enough indeterminacy (as 'now' emphasizes
discontinuity between looking in the mirror and rain I also seem to have to
look for a link between rain and wisdom) to suggest I apply its clear
political thoughts to myself, even as those are really fragments to his
life. Like your interviewer says "avant garde in both these senses".

Cheers,
Luke