I would go with larva casing.

David Goldstein

Tribal and Cultural Affairs-Northeast Region

National Park Service

Mobile: 313.506.5959

On Jan 18, 2018, at 10:43 AM, Wiebke Kirleis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear all,
When re-visiting archived material from a Neolithic site in a wetland area in northern Germany, we came across the weird big "something" that you can see from the inner and outer side in the attached jpg. The inner wall shows a pattern with some stripes. Has anyone seen something similiar yet? I am not sure if it is a botanical remain at all - maybe zoological? Scales are milimeters from a simple ruler, thus it measures about 1.5 x 2.5 cm.
Looking forward to get some comments,
best,
Wiebke

--
Prof. Dr. Wiebke Kirleis
Umweltarchäologie/Archäobotanik

Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Strasse 2-6 | D-24118 Kiel | Germany

Telefon: 0049 (0)431/880-3173
Fax: 0049 (0)431/880-7300

www.ufg.uni-kiel.de/

--
Graduate School "Human Development in Landscapes"
www.gshdl.uni-kiel.de/

--
"Advances in Archaeobotany"
www.archaeobotany.eu/