Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this issue...

For argument's sake, say we have two categorical variables:  A (with 2 levels: codes 0 and 1),  B (with 2 levels: codes 0 and 1).  For each of the  4   A x B combinations we have data collected from 8 different individuals.

We construct a regression model of the form:

Y =  constant1  +  beta1*A + beta2*B + E

The result is

Coefficientsa

Model

Unstandardized Coefficients

Standardized Coefficients

Sig.

Std. Error

Beta

1

(Constant)

59.844

3.446

17.368

.000

7.813

3.979

.274

1.964

.059

-17.188

3.979

-.602

-4.320

.000

a. Dependent Variable: Y

We also conduct a two-way ANOVA (without interaction).  The result is:

Tests of Between-Subjects Effects

Dependent Variable:

Source

Type III Sum of Squares

df

Mean Square

Sig.

Corrected Model

2851.563a

2

1425.781

11.258

.000

Intercept

97350.781

1

97350.781

768.700

.000

488.281

1

488.281

3.856

.059

2363.281

1

2363.281

18.661

.000

Error

3672.656

29

126.643

Total

103875.000

32

Corrected Total

6524.219

31

a. R Squared = .437 (Adjusted R Squared = .398)

We can see that the p-values for A and B and the associated test statistics (where F=t^2) are the same for the regression and two-way ANOVA analysis.

Now we add the interaction (A*B) term.

For the regression we get:
Coefficientsa

Model

Unstandardized Coefficients

Standardized Coefficients

Sig.

Std. Error

Beta

1

(Constant)

66.875

3.055

21.890

.000

-6.250

4.320

-.219

-1.447

.159

-31.250

4.320

-1.094

-7.233

.000

A*B

28.125

6.110

.853

4.603

.000

a. Dependent Variable: Y

For the two-way ANOVA we get:

Tests of Between-Subjects Effects

Dependent Variable:

Source

Type III Sum of Squares

df

Mean Square

Sig.

Corrected Model

4433.594a

3

1477.865

19.793

.000

Intercept

97350.781

1

97350.781

1303.831

.000

488.281

1

488.281

6.540

.016

2363.281

1

2363.281

31.652

.000

A * B

1582.031

1

1582.031

21.188

.000

Error

2090.625

28

74.665

Total

103875.000

32

Corrected Total

6524.219

31

a. R Squared = .680 (Adjusted R Squared = .645)

We have that, although that the p-value for the interaction and the associated test statistic (where F=t^2) is the same for the regression and two-way ANOVA analysis, the p-values for A and B differ.  What is the reason for this?  I assume that it is related to how we are interpreting the statistics?

For regression, Montgomery and Peck (1992) say that the test statistic for each regressor in the model is a "partial test" that is the "test of xi  given the other regressors in the model" i.e. in our case, t=-1.447 (p=0.159) is the test for A  given B and the interaction are in the model, t=-7.233 (p<0.001) is the test for B  given A and the interaction are in the model  and t=4.603 is the test for the interaction given A and B are in the model. However, I am confused as to how the interpretation of the two-way ANOVA differs from that of the regression model.  I hope that someone can throw some light on this.

Many thanks in advance.
Kim

Dr Kim Pearce PhD, CStat, Fellow HEA

Senior Statistician