Hello
been rolling would have affected all the faces it seems ? and it is not the case from what i can see.
chemical ?
cheers

Dear Zooarch

I have a sheep/goat tibia which was found in a river bed in Iceland. The erosion on the shaft seems unusual to me, there is a limited area towards the distal end of the shaft with extensive pitting. Is this to be expected in a bone that might have been rolling around in a rocky river bed?

Photos at http://zooarchaeology.ning.com/photo/albums/sheep-goat-tibia-eroded

Regards,

Albína

Albína Hulda Pálsdóttir

Zooarchaeologist MA

Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences

The Agricultural University of Iceland

Keldnaholti - Árleyni 22

112 Reykjavík

Iceland

PhD student

Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis (CEES)

Department of Biosciences, University of Oslo

Postbox 1066

Blindern

0316 OSLO

Norway

Mobile +354 697 9896

http://lbhi.academia.edu/AlbínaPálsdóttir

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Albina_Palsdottir3

--
J.H. Yvinec
Archéozoologue INRAP, UMR 7209

Laboratoire d'archéozoologie de Compiègne,
CRAVO, 17 rue James de Rothschild, 60200 Compiègne, France,
tel : 33 (0)3 44 23 28 10
mobile : 06 51 87 70 77

www.inrap.fr

Abonnez-vous à la lettre d’information de l'Inrap : http://www.inrap.fr/newsletter.php