Dear Julia,

No, it is not possible to distinguish wild boar from pig on the basis of canines, as far as the literature is concerned. If the male tusks are quite large, you might say its most likely wild boar, but always with a question mark, in my opinion.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Sofia

Lic. Sofia Tecce
PhD Student
Department of Archaeology
University of Sheffield
Northgate House
West Street
Sheffield S1 4ET
United Kingdom
https://sheffield.academia.edu/stecce

For MSc in Osteoarchaeology see:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/postgraduate/masters/courses-available/osteoarchaeology
For Zooarchaeology short course see:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/research/zooarchaeology-lab/short-course

Voted number one for student experience
Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2014-2015