Hello all,

Firstly my apologies for being very slow to respond regarding zoobook. In part this is due to family life and a very hectic work schedule. To my shame I currently have 697 unread zoo arch@JISCMAIL messages in my inbox. These days I find if I’m not spending my evenings at the computer I struggle to keep up with all the ZOOARCH correspondence, in the battle between work and life, my wife always wins (luckily she’s away at the TAG conference at the moment). But I have also been slow because I’ve been racking my brains for awhile now about what to do about zoobook.

As has been mentioned on this list before, it is possible for the 1,300+ zoobook members are able to send out invite links. Also zoobook was set up as a social network so the idea is no one person should be gatekeeper.

When Zoobook was first started (2009) the initial idea was it would allow somewhere for people to share reports, publications etc. At this point I’d just finished my PhD and was  a jobing commercial zooarchaeologist working for a small CRM company in the UK. Its sometimes easy to forget how fast technology moves. At the point zoobook was created, Facebook and the iPhone were new things; few people were on twitter and dropbox didn’t exist in its current form. For a few years Zoobook was very successful. Members could add file storage ares and membership rapidly grew. At that point the company hosting Zoobook, NING, was free for under a certain membership size. Unfortunately, NING changed its model and a fee was introduced for the hosting of the network. With this was also a gradual reduction in services, for example the file storage areas no longer work.

At this point I raised the possibility of closing zoobook, but i received a number of moving emails from zooarchaeologist in african and near eastern countries who at the time really struggled to access resources and zoobook was very useful for them. So I let zoobook continue and paid the £200 a year to keep the website open, with the occasional very generous donation from other zooarchaeologists. Over the years as I have moved into an academic position and my personal circumstances changed with marriage and children I have struggled to keep up with the maintenance and upkeep of zoobook. It unfortunately always ends up at the bottom of a very long list of things to do. Currently zoobook is on an older version of the Ning platform, to upgrade to the newer version of the platform for a site with over 1000 members would cost £480 per year. This is turning into a moan and i don’t want it to be. I also don’t want to put off any PhD students or post-docs thinking of doing a similarly crazy thing. I would say go for it, but think about legacy for the site in 8 years time.

Despite all this Zoobook stills seems to remain popular, although now primarily as a photo sharing site.

So I’ve been working on the site this evening and have decided to make some changes.

However zoobook continuing in its current mode depends on the Ning platform and the company will possible shut down the older (2.0) networks next summer. So I’m going to re-evaluate Zoobook at the start of the summer and perhaps shut it down then. All the photos on zoobook (over a 1,000 now) are archived and they could perhaps be uploaded to Bonecommons if people think there is a need.

I would also point everyone towards Bonecommon http://alexandriaarchive.org/bonecommons/ which is supported by ICAZ.

All the best

Jim

Dr James Morris MCIfA FHEA
Course Leader Archaeology & Anthropology
School of Forensic and Applied Sciences
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
PR1 2HE