Can’t see the back  or thickness, but reminds me of a weaving shuttle.

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 18, 2017, at 2:03 PM, Katheryn Twiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear All,

Does anyone know what this is? A primatologist colleague bought it in a market in Kenya, and would like to know what she has. The rest of us are curious too.

The story my colleague got was that the artifact was intended for use in a traditional Masai lion hunt. A hunter would jam this handheld item between the jaws of an onrushing lion to make it unable to bite.
This seems like an extremely effective strategy for getting killed by an annoyed cat.

Does anyone know its purpose?

http://zooarchaeology.ning.com/photo/bone-object-from-kenya?context=latest

Thank you!

Best,