Hi, morphology and metrics look ok for pine marten to me - eg male in my collection 78.4, 14.2, 5.5, 16.4
Sheila
SH-D ArchaeoZoology
http://www.shd-archzoo.co.uk
On 02/12/2017 09:00, Gabriele Soranna wrote:
Dear All,

I would need some help with the identification of a humerus belonging to a small carnivore.
At a first glance I thought it could have been a pine marten but it looks greater to the ones I looked up in the reference collection; it does not seem to fit with a wolverine either (rather small for it and different). I tried also with a genet with no luck.
So, while comparing notes with colleagues who I thank greatly, I weighed up the possibility it could be a mongoose or a ratel/honey badger from North Africa or the Near East but, unfortunately, I have not found either any reference in collections near by or atlases/publications so far for morphological descriptions or measurements. Any suggestion? Or Is there anybody willing to share some measurements from these taxa? I attach some pictures of the element and the measurements down here.
As for the context: late antique filling (2nd half 5th century AD), NE Palatine Hill, Rome. Probably residual.
I thank in advance anybody who could point me in some direction.

(let me know if the URL does not work properly)

The measurements (in mm):
GL=74,03
Dp=12,51
SD=5,13