Widening Participation & Evaluation
Project Manager

TL;DR:
We’re leaders in online science schools engagement with a passion for reaching the schools missed by others. Our projects help students aspire to attend higher education. We reach the schools that HEI can’t. Your role will be to ensure we are reaching more WP students and working with HEI WP teams to help them deliver on their objectives. In addition you will take responsibility for managing our evaluation programme. Pay £27k. - £33k.pa. Based in Central Bath - start ASAP. Email CV and letter to [log in to unmask]

Background:
We run online STEM outreach education projects aimed at connecting school students and scientists in the UK, Ireland and across the world.

We’re growing with funding support from the Wellcome Trust and other major organisations. We currently have funding in place through to 2021. Our events are over-subscribed by teachers and scientists and we could double the size of our project overnight if the funding was in place.

We are looking for a talented individual to work with university widening participation teams to help them reach students currently missing out on engagement activities. You’ll work with the other staff within Mangorolla to design and implement additional activities to deliver impact for the WP teams.

In addition you’ll have responsibility for managing and implementing our evaluation strategy.

You’ll be employed by Mangorolla CIC, the not-for-profit community interest company set up to run our projects and report to Shane McCracken, the executive director.

Responsibilities
You’ll be responsible for all things Widening Participation & Evaluation within our company.
  1. Maintaining our WP strategy in conjunction with the director
  2. Maintaining our evaluation strategy in conjunction with the director
  3. Articulating the impact of I’m a Scientist (IAS) to HEI WP teams
    1. In person
    2. Through marketing materials
    3. Through presentation
  4. Identifying and creating opportunities to work with HEI WP teams
  5. Managing relationships with HEI WP teams
  6. Working with the IAS project team to devise and implement creative solutions to improve the impact and value of IAS to HEI WP teams
  7. Implementing the evaluation strategy including:
    1. Running long-term on-going evaluation
    2. Designing ad-hoc evaluation projects
    3. Protocol design, including questionnaires and interviews plus possibly other methods too
    4. Data analysis, using data from the evaluation tools as well as wider information such as web analytics and reports, evidence gathered during the events etc.
    5. Report writing
  8. Dissemination
    1. Website articles
    2. Internal & external presentations and training
  9. Working with partner organisations using IAS for research
  10. Embedding evaluation within everything we do, including new projects and future funding applications
  11. Being part of the team
  12. Finish this list and job description
Your qualities
  • Experience of working with HEI Widening Participation teams
  • Clear understanding of evaluation techniques and basic statistical analysis
  • A good understanding of:
  • UK school environment
  • Widening participation issues in Higher Education
  • Public Engagement issues and theory
  • Science Communication issues and theory
  • Good writing and communication skills - reporting and non-academic
  • Excellent organisation and prioritisation skills
  • Full driving license - you’ll need to head off around the country occassionally
  • You like working online and the idea of a paperless office (we aspire)
  • Experience of working with funders and applying for funding

The Job Details
  • Full-time. We can be flexible and will consider part-time (c. 0.8 FTE) or term-time applicants
  • Location: We are in central Bath surrounded by fine Georgian architecture, decent restaurants and plentiful shopping.
  • Pay: £27,000 - £33,000 per annum pro-rata (depending on experience). As a small company there are no additional benefits other than the love you’ll feel from working in a small team focused on an excellent project doing fabulous work.
  • When: There’s a lot of work to do. We’d like you to start ASAP, but realistically that’ll be early 2018.
  • Application process: Send a cover letter that explains why you want to work with us and why we’d want to work with you. Please include a CV too. Closing Date: Saturday 16th December 2017 at noon (GMT). We’ll contact a shortlist for a telephone interview followed by a second interview if successful at our Bath offices w/c 18th December.

If you have questions about the position please do email me, [log in to unmask], or call on 01225 326892. Please don’t call to try and start promoting yourself (or your clients - looking at you recruitment agent), only get in touch with genuine questions or for an informal chat.

psci-com how-to: Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask]. If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send requests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages)