Dear Don,

I tend to look at the future of libraries less as a challenged static repositories and more as a space that needs to be requalified.
In other words, it is not the accessibility to a given content that is the next priority (if you know what you want, you’re better off with an internet request), but the serendipity that remains and could become the key differentiator.

In a way I would rather try bringing the kind of semantic network graphical display that some search engines where exploring in the last decade into a physical space, where connections are not represented on a screen, but experienced in the four dimensions of the physical space that you are being within (XYZ + distance/time).
This would mean : focus on what happens when you are looking for your book in the shelf, you usually bounce on a title, author, topic that resonates and this can deepen your research more than compiling all mandatory references.
Don’t ask me how it can be implemented, this is a two years commission ! But certainly a wonderful one !

Good luck !

Jean