I think that Arjun is on the right track here, only that ‘creative’ work is too general a term. However, if you limit this to the creation of knowledge of objects and extend those to include not just propositions but also material objects and complex constellations, you perhaps have the right mix of material and local knowledges - ultimately, sites of knowledge consumption and knowledge creation will conflate, and a very different skill set is required in which the role of ‘reader’ and ‘writer’ is in constant negotiation. You’d have to take the library out of its subordinate role, link it with other types of workshops and re-define the position of academics accordingly.

Michael Schwab