Don,

I think you didn’t understand that my concern was for the students, especially the graduate students, technical staff, instructors, alumni, independent thinkers, and ordinary citizens more than professional researchers, although even they might find a creative information laboratory a rich and healthy place to work with perhaps a more open, interdisciplinary approach than their own departmental or institutional workplace. Also why shouldn’t the staff of the library have a life that involves them in the design to improve their services and make them more useful, rewarding, and sought after? Librarians may need to partake more widely of how their information is or can be used. University library services that reach out to other learning environments and institutions would probably broaden their opportunities as well. Cutting edge services are more interesting for everyone. Old history isn’t the only thing libraries might offer. They can be pleasant places full of very bright people doing creative things that help other people do more.

Or so I still believe,
Chuck