Please find my early publication for your discussion:

Mathematics and design education
O Özcan, L Akarun
Design Issues 17 (3), 26-34, 2001

https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.documents/6887946/mathematic_design.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIWOWYYGZ2Y53UL3A&Expires=1512196378&Signature=F%2B%2FA6SmrBAblixERcV%2BJpe6N1E8%3D&response-content-disposition=inline%3B%20filename%3DMathematics_and_Design_Education.pdf

On 1 Dec 2017 Fri at 21:32 Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Dear David and Gunnar,
>
> The two videos were posted by Terry Love with the comment, “Some time ago
> I suggested there were benefits for increased levels of mathematics
> education  for designers,” adding “Several people asked for resources.”
> These two videos are supposed to be resources.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2vN2QXZGnc
>
> http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/
>
> It’s hard to see how these videos explain the benefit of increased
> mathematics education for designers. The videos are irrelevant to the claim
> that designers will benefit from increasing their level of mathematics.
>
> The first video is a conversation between Daniel Kahneman and Nassim
> Nicholas Taleb. Kahneman is a Nobel Laureate in economics who works in
> psychology. Taleb was a successful derivatives trader who left finance to
> work on mathematical, philosophical, and practical problems associated with
> risk and probability. Taleb has an excellent web site. Nothing on Taleb's
> site is relevant to the claim that designers should learn mathematics.
>
> The second video is even less relevant. Clio Cresswell works in applied
> mathematics at the University of Sydney. While she is a serious researcher
> in applied mathematics, she also does popular talks about mathematics for a
> public audience. This TED talk is the kind of thing that you’d present to a
> class of smart 14-year-olds in the hope of convincing some of them to go
> into mathematics. It is irrelevant to the whether we should increase the
> level of mathematics education for designers.
>
> Cresswell was not making an argument for precise thinking. This was a
> presentation of the fact that some mathematicians now use advanced
> mathematical models to explore such topics as sex, love, or — well,
> whatever. The mathematicians who do that work must use rigorous thinking
> and careful modeling, but Cresswell wasn’t making an argument for rigorous
> thinking. She was simply saying that some people use mathematical models to
> explore topics in new ways. For that matter, she did not discuss any papers
> or explain how the models work — she showed pictures of some equations and
> some published papers, and she told us what the papers were about.
>
> That’s like say that it takes a great sense of smell to be a master
> winemaker. It's an abstract and partial description of winemaking. It’s not
> an argument for the sense of smell.
>
> While I find Taleb more interesting, nothing in either of these
> presentations supports the claim that designers will benefit from
> increasing their level of mathematics.
>
> Yours,
>
> Ken
>
> Ken Friedman | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design,
> Economics, and Innovation | Published by Tongji University in Cooperation
> with Elsevier | URL:
> http://www.journals.elsevier.com/she-ji-the-journal-of-design-economics-and-innovation/

> [...]
Oguzhan Özcan, professor in design
Director,
Koc University
Arçelik Research Center for Creative Industries