> On Dec 24, 2017, at 4:09 PM, Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> langkål (a special green cabbage boiled in bullion, then cooked a second time in cream), rödkål (a shredded red cabbage dish), boiled potatoes, and winter ale. Then we took nap for an hour or so to digest, and we had coffee and a little bit of chocolate for dessert.

Ken,

I am jealous of all of your cabbage variety. I’m just shredding red cabbage and mixing it with parsley, blue cheese, and roasted walnuts with a garlic vinaigrette. My wife is at work at the psych ward and is feeding cheesy grits to her co-workers (we are, after all, in the American South.) In the mean time, our F is going to exceed Keith’s C so I’m going to go out for a chilly bicycle ride. I’ll wear red and green in honor of the season.

Bringing this back to something vaguely design related: Sometime during the day, I’ll raise a glass to Thomas Nast, the man who invented Santa Claus (or, at least, his American visible manifestation.)

I don’t know if it’s just the US that makes a controversy out of well wishes but in deference to the many solstice-adjacent celebrations, I will quote a sign I saw and wish everybody a merry whatever doesn’t make you mad.

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University
graphic design program