Hi All,

I cannot agree or disagree on these matters today because I made my decision on this some time ago. Back in 1985 some colleagues and I set up inside a University the body that eventually became the Communication Research Institute. In 1987 we left the University and became an independent body. In 1988, by way of explanation, I wrote a brief article on the subject:

Sless, D. (1988) Communication and the National Interest
Media International Australia.

I don’t have a copy of the paper to share but I recall that it was written on the occasion of the new Minister of Education declaring that from now on all University research had to be in the National Interest. I pointed out that most substantial research projects lasted for three or more years, in contrast to the life of a Government Minister lasted for less than 18 months.

I could add a great deal more, but much of it is covered by what others have said. One remaining point is that since 1985 I have published many more research papers and books than I did up till then. Ironically, the Universities I left kept writing to me asking me for updates of my bibliography so they could add it to their annual bids for funding. I declined.

To conclude. I don’t know whether the model I created is a long term alternative to the University. I suspect not. But the idea that Universities will survive because of their long history does not seem a very strong argument. Many earlier venerable institutions with long histories have perished. Think of the monasteries in England.

A peaceful holiday and New Year to all,

David
--

blog: http://communication.org.au/blo <http://communication.org.au/blo>g/
web: http://communication.org.au <http://communication.org.au/>

Professor David Sless BA MSc FRSA
CEO • Communication Research Institute •
• helping people communicate with people •

Mobile: +61 (0)412 356 795
Phone: +61 (03) 9005 5903
Skype: davidsless

60 Park Street • Fitzroy North • Melbourne • Australia • 3068