Dear Ali
Thank you for bringing to our attention the work of Lee Vinsel.

His work has a background in STS (Science and Technology Studies) and he and Andrew Russell are behind the so-called "Maintenance Movement." They have mounted several fruitful conferences in recent years, and I was lucky enough to participate in the most recent.  Anyone interested in "The Maintainers" conferences can read more here:

http://themaintainers.org/

In addition to the article you mention, the two have written about the larger intellectual movement  elsewhere. Here is an opinion piece article in the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/22/opinion/sunday/lets-get-excited-about-maintenance.html?_r=0

One of their earliest statements on the subject ("Hail the Maintainers") is here:

https://aeon.co/essays/innovation-is-overvalued-maintenance-often-matters-more

The latter is not necessarily against design, but as you note, the list may be interested in Lee Vinsel's critique of design thinking as popularized by the d-School and IDEO.

kind regards,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guffey,
Professor of Art & Design History
Director, MA in Modern and Contemporary Art, Criticism and Theory

State University of New York at Purchase
Purchase, NY 10577-1400

author:
Posters: A Global History (Reaktion Books, 2015)
Retro: The Culture of Revival (Reaktion Books, 2006)
editor:
Design and Culture (Routledge)