Message from the MIST mailing list.

Hi all,

Evening talk you may be interested in attending…

Space Climate

By Prof Matt Owens, Dept of Meteorology, University of Reading

Wednesday 13th December at 7pm

Sutcliffe Lecture Theatre, Department of Meteorology, University of Reading

Space weather, variability in the near-Earth space environment over minutes to days, can adversely affect space- and ground-based technologies and poses health risks to humans in space and on high-altitude flights. To predict how the space weather may vary in the future, we first need to understand how it has varied in the past. Reconstructing "space climate" further back in time necessitates relying on increasingly indirect proxies, from direct spacecraft measurements (~60 years), to geomagnetic measurements (~150 years), sunspot observations (400 years) and, finally, cosmogenic isotope records in ice sheets and tree trunks (~10,000 years). I'll review what these are, what exactly they tell us and how much they can be trusted. I'll also, possibly imprudently, speculate about the most likely scenario for solar activity over the coming decades.

This talk is being organised by the Royal Meteorological Society. Our talks are open to all and free to attend (registration is not necessary).

For more information please go to https://www.rmets.org/events/space-climate or contact Ross Herbert on [log in to unmask].

To send a message to the list, email [log in to unmask] or visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?P1&L=mist MIST Web page is http://www.mist.ac.uk/