I think the understanding of copper colouration of lead glass has been known
for centuries, when it has been deliberately added (typically 2-3%) to give
a turquoise/blue colour.  The reverse process - taking copper out of lead
metal does not seem to have been  used routinely until the mid/late 19th
century.  This can be done by leaving molten lead at its melting point for a
few days.  Copper is insoluble in lead and comes to the surface as a dry
powder which can be skimmed off.  Percy refers to experiments by Baker
regarding this process but does not give any details of it being used
industrially.  The more usual process for removing copper is to stir in
flowers of sulphur and requires a powerful stirrer so I have not heard of
this being done before the late 19th century or even early 20th century.  I
can't think of an easy way of taking copper out of red lead so I guess you
have to purify the lead metal first.

Percy also states that red lead from Snailbeach lead was good for glass
making and that from the nearby Bog mine was less suitable.  There seems to
have been a long-standing tradition by users of non-ferrous metals to
specify particular brands of metal for specific applications.   This seems
to have persisted at least until the end of the 20th century.

I would like to know why red lead was used in glass making.  Litharge can be
used to make glass so why go to the additional trouble of making red lead.
It's possible that the red lead process gave a purer product.

Richard Smith