From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of MCG automatic digest system
Sent: 05 December 2017 00:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: MCG Digest - 3 Dec 2017 to 4 Dec 2017 (#2017-240)

Topics of the day:

1. Mini-Museums (3)

website: http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/museumscomputergroup
[un]subscribe: http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/email-list/

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 16:38:18 +0000
From: Neil Rathbone <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Mini-Museums

Given that footfall is a vital basis for museum justification and sustainability, I have been thinking that the ability to put a mini-museum into a nearby area of high traffic such as a railway station or shopping centre could be valuable, both in its own right as a form of educational outreach, but also as an advertising ‘teaser’
for a full visit. I wondered if members have any experience or examples?

I would include permanent mini-museums, temporary pop-up museums, or even outreach events that have the primary objectives of education and/or bringing in more visitors. I suspect that many traditional museums have locals that would visit more if they were prompted as to what they could experience, and that some towns (including my own - the home of the Melton Pork Pie and Stilton Cheese) have incoming visitors that miss out on the museum when they could be tempted by a the sort of punchy ‘trailer’ that is now part of every cinema visit and TV credit.

I’ll declare that I’m professionally interested as our Info-Point units ( www.info-point.eu ) could be used as a digital element in unattended mini-museums, giving visitors easy access to rich media content and interactives via the web browser on their smartphones, and the ability to take away virtual leaflets as downloads - at the same time of course counting the visitors. Many local people sit bored at our railway station, and leisure visitors crowd the honey-pots and watering holes in the town square. Although we have a good local authority museum listed in the guides, my feeling is that there is nothing actually tempting potential visitors to sample its wares.

I have no experience of mini-museums, and have never yet seen any examples. I wonder if this is because there are practical problems with the idea, or because museum managements tend to be building-centred and intellectual, and consequently too shy to tout their wares so brazenly on the streets. I’d be interested to know of any examples, and keen to work with anyone who wants to give the idea a try. Thoughts on a postcard please….

Apologies for MCG/GEM cross-posting, but I feel this might be of interest to both.

Regards

Neil Rathbone

--

Director
Webnebulus

01664 897957
www.info-point.eu

website: http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/museumscomputergroup
[un]subscribe: http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/email-list/

Museums using empty shops in the last recession is another example which comes to mind.

I’m sure that there are many other examples.

Jim

MuseumNext
www.museumnext.com <http://www.museumnext.com/>