Sorry I missed this one last week, but just in case its useful.

I'm just curious that there has been no mentions of PIDs (Persistent Identifiers) and how they might support the notion of "permalinks". There is a lot of work being done on this at the moment, particularly by the https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/gede-group-european-data-experts-rda group, among others. When we start thinking beyond single collections they are going to be very useful.

Ideally it would be great if there was a link that kept working with no required semantics in it, that is not specifically ties to the current version of a website, that will always resolve to information about an object.

But, this would not stop any number of additional links also pointing to the same place. I have often wondered why museums do not use the some part of the whole disambiguation used in Wikipedia. For example if I did a search for a painting entitled "Portrait of a Woman" I might want to know that there were in fact 20+ paintings with this title in a collection.

As a number of people have said, titles do change, so any URLs based on them are unlikely to be "permalinks". They can still be used and be useful, but it would be great if they are not the only option.

If I am a user trying to find things on a website, URLs with codes in them are often not helpful, but if I am trying to connect or create lasting systems then URLs with unique codes in them are very useful.

Joe