From: Frances Weightman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 08/12/2017 16:38 (GMT+00:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Translation Competition for Schools

Dear all

I’m delighted to announce that the Writing Chinese project’s Translation Competition is now open!

This year it is exclusively for secondary school students, so if you have any pupils who have been studying Chinese for a while and are keen on translation, do encourage them to enter. It’s a picture book, and there is an audio recording available.

The winner will be able to have his/her translation published as a bilingual book by Balestier Press. We are looking for natural English expression – a translation which, while accurate, would also be work as a book for English-speaking children.

See the link below for more information – I hope you’ll agree this could be a great opportunity for some of your students!

https://writingchinese.leeds.ac.uk/translation-competition/

All the best from Leeds, and all of the Writing Chinese team

Frances, Sarah and Halima

*************************
Dr Frances Weightman
Associate Professor of Chinese Studies
School of Languages, Cultures and Societies
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT

Please note I am currently on 0.5 sabbatical.

Office hours in Semester 1: 10:30-12:30 Tuesdays (drop-in session for student feedback/advice etc.)
Office: G.07, 14 Cromer Terrace

+44-(0)113-3433560

AHRC/WREAC-funded research project: “Writing Chinese: authors, authorship and authority”
http://writingchinese.leeds.ac.uk
promoting new Chinese writing in the UK