From: A general library and information science list for news and discussion. [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Claire Olson [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 12 December 2017 16:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Reading Well / Shelf-Help - Advice/Suggestions welcomed

Hi All,

I am an Academic Skills Officer at Edge Hill University, currently taking part in our internal Development of Potential programme. As such, I am drafting a business case as part of the coursework I need to submit.

My business case is looking at the potential of introducing a range of 30 suitably selected self-help books (covering key topics from Careers, Learning Services and Student Services). This collection would be displayed together and marketed as a specific ‘Shelf-Help’ collection, available to students and staff.

This type of project has been familiar in public libraries for the past few years, under the Reading Well: Books on Prescription banner. Please see: https://readingagency.org.uk/adults/quick-guides/reading-well/, if you would like to find out more.

As this is something we currently don’t deliver as a bespoke offer (despite holding many advice, guidance, self-help type books – but none shelved together as a collection in their own right) I would be interested to know if any other university libraries offer any similar schemes?

I am particularly interested in…

- The promotion of self-help titles as a means of support offered to both students/staff and any successes or pitfalls from this.
- Other reading for leisure initiatives, particularly in relation to wellbeing.

If you do provide self-help books, could you please answer the following questions:

o Do you currently promote self-help books to students /staff? If yes, how and which titles?

o Are self-help books accessed regularly and how many books do you have available for loan?

o Which key topics do self-help books support?

o How do you feel a carefully curated selection of self-help books is/would be beneficial to students / staff?

o Do you have any other comments in relation to ‘Shelf-Help’ as a potential resource for students / staff?

Please reply to me direct at [log in to unmask] and I will summarise for the list.

Thank you for time.

Regards,
Claire

Claire Olson
Academic Skills Officer
Learning Services
Edge Hill University

Working pattern: Mon & Tues 8.45am-5pm, Wed 8.45am – 1pm

Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: 01695 584 459