Dear colleagues

We currently have a limited number of spaces that have become available for our Analytics Labs for Higher Education teams starting in February 2018 (7 February – 16 May) and May 2018 (16 May – 8 August).  Could you or a colleague be interested?  Then read on…

Background

Jisc and HESA are collaborating to make Business Intelligence available to a much wider audience in Higher Education. The production service, Heidi Plus delivers data-derived insights as interactive dashboards to a very large audience, whilst Jisc has developed an approach to refresh the dashboard content through our community-led dashboard creation model Analytics Labs

Jisc and HESA support Analytics Labs by providing a technical and legal framework, including Data Protection Act (DPA) training; project management; technical and data consultancy to each team; access to data for experimentation purposes and all software.

Previous Analytics Labs participants have delivered insights into a range of areas including HE Finance and the Impact of Brexit, Postgraduate Teaching Tracking and Tracking the Student Journey and we’re looking to build on and develop some areas and explore others.

Lizzie Bird, Policy and Planning Analyst at the University of Bath and a recent Analytics Labs participant commented on her experience, “It’s a fantastic opportunity to work with people from different organisations to produce data visualisations and dashboards to benefit the sector.” Would Lizzie recommend the Analytics Labs experience to colleagues? “Yes absolutely. It was useful, we all got a lot out of it and it was really fun, so yes, I would definitely recommend it!”

How can I be involved?

We are offering an exciting and unique opportunity for business intelligence experts together with those who have data analysis and visualisation experience to join us in the Analytics Labs initiative. The effort required is just 0.2 FTE over 3 months. For that you’ll get a fantastic professional development experience as we create new content through:

Further information on the extent of commitment and an indicative schedule, outlining face-to-face and virtual teamwork is available here or on request.

In addition to Team members we are also seeking Team leaders for May 2018. These will be heads, assistant heads or similarly senior roles charged with steering their team towards creating widely applicable outputs. We anticipate the effort to average out at just 7 days for an entire (3 month) development cycle.

There is no charge to take part, however participants are expected to cover their own travel and subsistence costs when attending face to face project meetings.  Further details on Analytics Labs and the benefits of getting involved can be found on the Business Intelligence website.

How do I apply?

We are taking applications for 2 future cycles:

Application is open to Jisc Higher Education members only via an online form.  This should take no longer than 10 minutes to complete. Amongst other things you will be asked to: indicate your available dates, confirm that you are able to commit the time required and you have your employer’s support and explain in 500 words or less your relevant experience/why you’d like to be involved.

We are taking applications throughout December 2017. We will inform successful applicants in the week commencing Monday 8 January 2018. Please direct any queries – referencing “Analytics Labs” in the subject line to [log in to unmask] .

Kind regards

Janette, On behalf of the BI team

Jisc

Janette Hillicks
Senior co-design manager

T 0203 8198 218
M 07918 564953
Skype janettehillicks
Twitter @hanetteheelox
2nd Floor, City Quadrant, 11 Waterloo Square, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4DP

jisc.ac.uk

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT No. GB 882 5529 90. Jisc’s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower Hill, Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800. jisc.ac.uk