Very sad news. Happy memory of rowing on a lake near Hull with Eoin during a break from the German Studies conference in 1974. A good colleague with his heart in the right place.

Jeremy Leaman

Loughborough

________________________________
From: JISCmail German Studies List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of christiane schonfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 29 December 2017 16:08:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: sad news

It is with great sadness that I inform you of the death of our wonderful friend and colleague Eoin Bourke, Professor Emeritus of German, NUI Galway, who passed away suddenly but peacefully yesterday:

BOURKE Dr. Eoin (Henry Street, Galway and formerly of Sandymount, Dublin; ) – 28th December, 2017 (peacefully), at University Hospital Galway. Beloved husband of Eva and loving father of Gabriel, Miriam and Benjamin. He will be very sadly missed by his loving wife, sons, daughter, brother, sister, relatives, neighbours, friends and his former colleagues and students at NUI Galway.

Humanist Service in Celebration of Eoin’s life at Conneely’s Funeral Home, Flood Street, Galway City on Tuesday, 2nd January at 6.00pm. Cremation Service at Mount Jerome Crematorium, Harold’s Cross, Dublin 6w on Wednesday at 3.00pm.

Donations, in lieu of flowers, to Plan International Ireland - www.plan.ie<http://www.plan.ie>

Eoin was an inspiring teacher and true scholar who will be sorely missed in German Studies. Gisela Holfter and I will organise a memorial event to celebrate his life and work in the new year. If you would like to receive further information or would like to contribute in some way, please let me know at [log in to unmask]

Alles Gute,
Christiane

Dr Christiane Schönfeld
Head, Dept of German Studies
Mary Immaculate College
University of Limerick
Limerick / Ireland

email: [log in to unmask] | phone: 0(0353) 86 3334637 (mobile)