Hi Sally,

I'm not an expert myself but I use just one 3D image as input to
epi_reg, for example,

   epi_reg --epi=func_meanvol ... --out=epi2struct

Then, you can combine epi2struct_warp with the struct2standard warp
(previously computed with flirt/fnirt) using convertwarp.

After that, I also combine this with each volume's transformation from
mcflirt so that I can use applywarp to warp each volume of the time
series directly to standard space with one transformation.

You could also take a look at the relevant scripts in the HCP
pipelines, where this is being done in a similar way, I believe. I
don't remember if they use fsl_prepare_fieldmap and epi_reg, though.

Cheers,
Kris