Hi Annika,

The effect of age could be considered in three ways:

a) The overall age of the subject as a nuisance (e.g., young adults
potentially having different measures than elder subjects).
b) The difference in time (~11 months) being a nuisance (i.e., subjects
with their 2nd visit earlier in time potentially having different measures
than those who have their 2nd visit after several months)
c) The measured differences between before and after (1st and 2nd visit)
being modeled as a function of the time difference between visits (i.e.,
first visit coded as 0, 2nd visit coded as number of days from the 1st
visit, and used as regressor of interest).

From your description I believe you want (a), and possibly also (b), but
not (c), which could confound the effect of age with the effect of
treatment. The exact same considerations apply to the severity degrees,
except that these differ according to group, such that you may want to
accommodate for the possibility of an interaction. If that is the case then
the design would be, for 3 groups (A, B and C):

EV1: Code as -1 for visit 1, 1 for visit 2, 0 if not a member of group A
EV2: Code as -1 for visit 1, 1 for visit 2, 0 if not a member of group B
EV3: Code as -1 for visit 1, 1 for visit 2, 0 if not a member of group C
EV4: Age at the respective visit (for fine control, use decimal places,
and/or measure age in months instead of years)
EV5: Objective severity degree group A
EV6: Objective severity degree group B
EV7: Objective severity degree group C
EV8: Subjective severity degree group A
EV9: Subjective severity degree group B
EV10 onwards: subject-specific intercepts, that is, one EV per subject
coded as 1 for that subject, 0 otherwise.

The contrasts are then:

C1: 1 -1 0 0 0 0 ... (changes in group A > changes in group B)
C2: 1 0 -1 0 0 0 ... (changes in group A > changes in group C)
C3: 0 1 -1 0 0 0 ... (changes in group B > changes in group C)

There should be one exchangeability block (EB) per subject, and
permutations should happen within-block. If you use PALM you can also
include permutations of the blocks as a whole (together with permutations
within-block). In randomise, just specify the exchangeability blocks file
and it will do within-block permutations.

That should be it!

All the best,

Anderson