I do not understand what the big deal is: CDC decisions/recommendations have never been based on the totality of evidence just a selection of the "right" evidence or fanciful models. Trump's diktat is e recognition of reality, so they can drop pretending. Good news I'd say.

Tom

Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung

-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Brian Alper MD <[log in to unmask]>
Data: 17/12/2017 12:50 (GMT+01:00)
A: [log in to unmask]
Oggetto: Re: US CDC bans using the word "evidence-based" among others

Perhaps we should be "evidence-based" before responding or we risk acting on "fake news" that match our biases.

Someone in a CDC meeting told a group not to use certain terms when preparing a budget document.

Is there any evidence this came from "higher up" and if so what was being requested or directed from sources external to the CDC?   By the time you have a person in the meeting (anonymous so we do not know that person's role, degree of understanding, or biases) tell the story to a reporter who then writes a story which may take a spin to get attention you may really lose the facts.

The Washington Post article starts with "The Trump administration is prohibiting ..." but the article quotes a Department of Health and Human Services spokesman (the part of the Trump administration that oversees the CDC) without ever stating whether HHS was involved or aware of this so-called prohibition of terms. It never establishes who is making the alleged prohibition of terms.

If the real source is an opinion within the CDC for how to facilitate the presentation of budget documents for more rapid approval AND there is no "Trump administration" direction involved BUT people react trying to take action against the Trump administration for this perceived insult THEN the next headline can be the evidence-based community cannot be trusted to act based on evidence, and you won't be listened to when there is time for important dialog.

Brian S. Alper, MD, MSPH, FAAFP
Founder of DynaMed
Vice President of Innovations and Evidence-Based Medicine Development, EBSCO Health
Mission: Provide the most useful support for healthcare decision-making
"It only takes a pebble to start an avalanche."
Thought for the moment: What will it take to make Evidence Based Medicine PATIENT BASED MEDICINE? ...