- - - Apologies for cross-posting! - - -

Dear colleagues,

we are happy to present our call for papers for the /Global Conference
on Economic Geography/ (GCEG) in Cologne, Germany (July 24-28, 2018).
Please feel invited to submit an abstract for presentation.

Best regards

Stefanie & Felix

      *Labour Geography and Capitalist Reproduction*

More than 20 years ago, both mainstream as well as radical economic
geography were profoundly criticized for their blindness to labour's
geographic agency, reducing it to an economic factor or a passive object
of capital's strategy (Herod 1997). Since then, a wide range of
literature and case studies has demonstrated labour's active space,
scale, and place making. However, there is also a serious critique on
labour geography. This critique tackles a certain empiricism due to the
prevalent theoretical disconnection of labour's resistance and social
abilities with wider societal, political and economic structures (Peck
2003; Mitchell 2011; Coe 2012; Herod 2016). Hence, the need for further
development of labour geography is obvious to strengthen its very impact.

In our session, we want to discuss consequences and further steps
following this debate. Our guiding question is: How can labour be
conceptualized as an active, intervening social agent, transforming
social landscapes and society - without falling into the trap of an
“agency-centred ontology” (Peck 2013)? Following this question we invite
theoretical as well as empirical contributions which could cover the
following but also related issues:

  * What is the relation between labour's spatial agency and the
    contemporary capitalist social formation?
  * What kind of socio-spatial abilities and what kind of constraints do
    we observe on labour’s side, and how could we conceptualise them?
  * In what manner is labour’s scale making important for the
    contemporary capitalist mode of production?
  * How can we theorize conditions of labour's agency without falling
    back to take them as pure structural conditions, objectifying labour?

Applicants please submit abstracts until March 15, 2018 directly on the
conference homepage:

https://www.gceg2018.com/call-for-sessions-and-papers.html.

For further questions please contact us:

Stefanie Hürtgen (Salzburg, AT)

Felix Silomon-Pflug (Frankfurt, DE)