-----Original Message-----
From: Announcement list for BASEES members [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Connor Doak
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 3:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BASEES-MEMBERS] UK-Russia Symposium, Bristol, 19-20 January

Dear colleagues,

On Friday 19th and Saturday 20th January, 2018, the Department of

Russian and Czech at the University of Bristol will host the Bristol

UK-Russia Symposium. This event, sponsored by the British Academy,

brings emerging and experienced researchers in Russian Studies (broadly

speaking) from within the UK together with key scholars in Russian

academia. Keynote speakers include Catriona Kelly (Oxford), Maria

Maiofis (RANEPA), Derek Offord (Bristol) together with Gesine Argent

(Edinburgh). The programme includes panels on gender and sexuality in

Russia, Russian religious culture, nineteenth- and twentieth-century

literature, and Soviet history and culture. There are also workshops on

Russian digital humanities and film history, as well a bilingual reading

by Russian-American-Irish writer Margarita Meklina, one of the

pioneering voices of Russian queer literature since the 1990s.

The event will take place at the George White Suite in The Bristol

Hotel, Prince Street, Bristol, BS1 4QF. Please find a poster for the event

attached, as well a full programme for the two days. Note that we will

begin at 12 noon on Friday and run from 9am to 6pm on Saturday.

The symposium is free and open to everybody, but places are limited. If

you wish to attend, please email send a brief email to me to register

([log in to unmask]). Let me know whether you plan to come on

both days, just Friday or Saturday, or just one or two particular

sessions. Please let me know by Friday 29th December if you plan to

come.

All best wishes,

Connor

___

Dr Connor Doak

Lecturer in Russian, University of Bristol

Office 1.55, 17 Woodland Road, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1TE

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/sml/people/connor-b-doak/index.html