The majority of schools in Leicester are still maintained so we are trying to give guidance.  We have run free training sessions for Heads and Business Managers and will be offering something for governors in the New Year.

We are putting together a set of documents for them which hopefully will be finalised over Christmas: updated DP policy, guidance, Info Asset Register template, draft ROPA, contract clauses and data processing agreement clauses, DPO job description, data breach reporting procedure etc. Happy to share these once they are ready.

We are unable to offer a DPO traded service due to resource constraints. We’ll continue with a limited IG traded service for those signed up. One of our local county councils was looking at if they could offer DPO traded service but not sure how that will progress. (Not knowing if the amendment to the DP Bill about taking schools out of being a  PA is not helpful of course!)

Lynn

From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Spray
Sent: 07 December 2017 20:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] GDPR, Local Authorities and Schools

On a similar note, a colleague of mine is a secondary school governor and asked me this week if I knew of any GDPR guidance aimed at schools. Her school’s local council are doing nothing to support them. Whilst the council may have no legal responsibility to help in this regard surely they want to help the schools that come under their umbrella? Perhaps the issue is resource availability - I don’t imagine any council or school has the spare money lying around to spend on the current data protection consultant day rates.

If anyone knows of free, meaningful, guidance aimed at schools do share it because I can’t find any.

As an aside, assuming maintained schools and academies are “public authorities” where are 21,000 schools going to find suitably experienced DPOs as per GDPR requirements/Art. 29 guidance? Are any local councils (considering) offering their schools an outsourced  DPO service?

Regards

Chris