Dear colleagues,

Call for proposals for sponsorship by the RACE Working Group at RGS-IBG conference 2018

The Race, Culture and Equality (RACE) Working Group would like to invite proposals for sessions to be sponsored by RACE at the RGS-IBG annual conference 2018.  The conference chair's theme is 'Geographical landscapes/changing landscapes of Geography’. A key objective of the RACE Working Group of the RGS-IBG is to promote scholarship on topics of racial inequality, colonization, decolonization and whiteness, and to encourage dialogue on race that advances academic knowledge and progressive practices. The RACE Working Group therefore welcomes proposals on these topics more generally, and on the chair's theme. We are also interested in sponsoring sessions and activities by activists and scholar-activists, as well as artists and scholar-artists, that propose and explore practical initiatives for dismantling colonial processes within the discipline, within the university system, and within the RGS-IBG.  We are aware that academic spaces such as the RGS-IBG can be financially prohibitive for early career scholars, those low waged and underwaged, and for activists and artists, and we are committed to addressing those barriers for participation; if you would like to participate but do not have the means, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Please email proposals to [log in to unmask] by 22 January 2018. Submissions should include a title, an abstract (max 250 words), the format of the session or activity, the number of timeslots requested (if applicable), and name(s) and affiliation(s) of the organizers. The guidelines for organising sessions can be found on the Royal Geographical Society website: rgs.org . We will endeavour to respond to organizers by the end of January 2018.

All the best,
RACE Working Group

Dr Patricia Noxolo,

Senior Lecturer in Human Geography

School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences,

University of Birmingham,

Edgbaston,

Birmingham

B15 2TT