From: A forum for critical and radical geographers <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Victoria Okoye <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, 15 December 2017 07:44
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: theories on place, space, public space from the global south

Dear all,

I recently joined this forum and have very much appreciated the opportunities, resources and insights everyone has shared so far.

I'm a first year PhD student in Architecture at the University of Sheffield. I'm  researching the knowledge, imagination and meanings that inform spatial appropriation of open, vacant and public spaces in West African cities (Accra, Ghana and Lagos, Nigeria). I previously worked on street and market vending, and I intend to think quite expansively - so to include activities such as the temporary occupation of streets for funerals and naming ceremonies, even appropriation of vacant buildings of plots by youth for football games, or usage of empty buildings for community gatherings, performances, meetings, etc.

I have a request - I am at a moment where I am trying to read as much as possible about different relational approaches and understandings of space, place and public space (Henri Lefebvre, Yi-Fu Tuan, Doreen Massey, for example). I wanted to ask if anyone could share theorists, researchers, writers conceptualizing space from the global south? Anything from more historical conceptualizations of space, place and public space to more contemporary understandings would be incredibly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Best,
Victoria
--
Victoria Okoye
Postgraduate Researcher, School of Architecture

This email has been scanned by MessageLabs' Email Security System
on behalf of the University of Brighton. For more information see:
https://staff.brighton.ac.uk/is/computing/Pages/Email/spam.aspx