*With apologies for cross-posting*

The Energy Geographies Research Group (EnGRG) of the RGS-IBG would like to invite postgraduate and early career researchers interested in energy-related research and teaching to a Researcher Training and Essential Skills event at the University of Manchester on the 31st of January 2018. We provide further details below.

Please distribute this invitation widely amongst your networks.

Postgraduate and Early Career Researcher Workshop for Energy Geographers

Deadline for registration: Tuesday the 12th of December.

What: The overall purpose of the workshop is to provide a supportive ‘meeting place’ for EnGRG postgraduate students and postdoctoral researchers that facilitates formal and informal networking and intellectual development and debate. Speakers for the workshop include those from academic, policy, non-governmental organisations and the third sector.

Throughout the day, we will provide a series of sessions and networking opportunities:

Careers session

Through introductions from a specially invited panel, participants will be given insight into both academic and alternative non-academic careers (e.g. policy, non-governmental organisations and public bodies) where they can continue to contribute to cutting-edge developments in energy geographies. Panellists will introduce themselves through a 5-minute ‘life story’ followed by a Q&A session.

Publishing session

This session will explore expectation versus reality when it comes to the research process. Attended by academics experienced in publishing and editorial board members of the journals Energy Research & Social Science, Local Environment and Progress in Human Geography, we will explore not only what is needed for publication in general, but what is needed for these particular outlets.

Funding session

This session will introduce you into the process of writing grants and getting funding, debunking the myths and legends around them along the way. You will consider where to look and how to start from scratch as you plan methods, impact and dissemination. Following advice from successful grant applicants, you will also work in groups to produce a research outline, timeline and basic budget with assistance from senior academics.

Evening Event at the Old Abbey Inn

For networking, food, and a beverage (or two) of your choice.

Who: The workshop has 30 places available to postgraduates working within the broad field of the EnGRG’s remit. Within the registration form, participants are required to submit a short abstract (300 words) for reference and to ensure that we tailor the workshop to your expertise. Places for the workshop will be assigned based on research interests and career level.

Where: The event will be held at the University of Manchester. Room and building details to follow.

Why: To plan and develop your career, as well as to meet likeminded students and researchers.

How (details and deadline for registration):

A small registration fee of £30 is required to cover essential costs (this is payable after we’ve confirmed your place). To register, please complete the application form (see attached) and return it to Caitlin Robinson ([log in to unmask]) or Philippa Roddis ([log in to unmask]) (or both if you’re feeling flashy!) by Tuesday the 12th of December. We will not be able to cover your travel or accommodation costs. We have a very limited number of bursaries to offer to postgraduate students who don’t have access to conference funds via their funding body and/or university. Please email Caitlin or Philippa if you would like to be considered.

Successful applicants will be informed within one week.

We look forward to seeing many of you there!

Best wishes,

Pip, on behalf of the rest of the organising committee – Neil Simcock, Kirsten Jenkins and Caitlin Robinson

Pip Roddis

PhD researcher

School of Geography / School of Earth & Environment

University of Leeds

Email: [log in to unmask]

Web: https://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/p.roddis