Yes, and since we remain under indirect neo-colonial rule today, also
based on a brutal mode of extractivism, there's a case to be made that
GDP should be replaced with a measure that (among many other needed
improvements) would foreground the depletion of non-renewable resources,
in part to better unveil the extent of the looting... Short articles
below make this case:

Cheers,

Patrick (Johannesburg)

  * https://monthlyreview.org/2017/09/01/africa-rising-in-retreat/