S. Claus didn't agree, either. You made him so angry that the ice melted and he sank forever.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Dec 27, 2017 4:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The Maximus Poems

On 27 Dec 2017, at 5:44 pm, Mark Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

You misunderstand. If any poems are essential, Maximus is among them. IMHO.The guide is less so--one needn't know what every reference is, and now we have google. …
Maximus evolved over time. But some essentials of the thought-structure holding it together are in the maps at the head of each volume. The program, to exaggerate like crazy, is put forth in "Maximus, from Dogtown--I."

I have had more than enough of essential poems, especially very big ones.  People can and will get great thrills out of Maximus, I have myself many times, but I shan’t much care if I never read a page of it again. Both it and The Cantos failed to achieve their stated aims (e.g. to in (1) to eradicate symbolism as poetical discourse by means mainly of exhortation and great dumps of documentation. (2). to eradicate linear history and logical thought and replace them with intuited mental ecstasis about “size” paradoxically (i.e. lyrically) hinged on very small local symptoms.

I think a perfectly good and by no means reactionary case could be made out (I’m not going to make it out) that modernism destroyed the possibility of poetical narrative by means of exclusive expanded lyric not necessarily mystified, , and then wanted to write great whopping long poems encompassing humanity’s fate, and found it had thrown away the means of doing this. Stevens magnificently, held back from the temptation.  Maximus & Cantos didn't stand a chance of cohering, the thought-process was an inflation of obsession, crackpot missionary rants on behalf of orderly governance and self-elevation.  Both poems proceeded as diaries, to which things were added day by day until the poet died and they stopped. Diaries speak principally to the self that wrote them.

These two short paragraphs are my Christmas present to all and sundry . If not wanted please return to S. Claus Esq., North Pole.

PR