We should savour these rare moments, Tim. All conducive to seasonal goodwill, given that the list tends to get strangely fractious round xmas.
  But I should add that I'm not picking a quarrel with David either. We both agree - well who doesn't? - that many fine poets fail to receive their just deserts in their lifetime. My only difference, if it is one, is that I reckon it goes with the territory. I don't see why that should come over as 'a bit aloof'.
  As for canon formation, it sounds a bit grand and academic to me. What most poets would be grateful for, I'd guess, is some attentive readers - 'fit audience, though few' - although even this modest proposition, if I'm not mis-recollecting an earlier remark by Drew, has awoken discord here.
  With reference to David's subsequent post, I'm not sure I've met a poet 'afraid of admitting they would like to be "recognised" in some way'. It wouldn't take much bravery to admit most of us may feel that, either on a personal level, or in terms of the public attention to the art, or on both accounts.

Jamie