a minor adjustment... Olson did some of the most serious scholarly
literary work ever done on Melville, and although his book on Melville,
Call Me Ishmael, is written in a mode that isn't expressed
conventionally, he had done lots of academic research. I think of Olson
as a poet who understood a good deal more about scholarship and academic
literary criticism than his later work suggests.... Even if aspects of
Olson's work were knowingly anti-academic, or at least opposed to some
of the conformities and ideology he perceived, he was nevertheless a
scholar who had real academic skills. All of which means that Olson's
work doesn't so much sit or stand in relation to academia, but rather
dances the dance of the intellect...

Drew