Dear Claire

I have just read your interesting email of last week on the Archives NRA list.  As you will see I am the Archivist at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge.

Addenbrooke’s treated many soldiers during both world wars and I have the in-patient registers which record all admissions, military and civilian.  The in-patient registers entries for the military record: name, rank, regiment, disease admitted for and when admitted and discharged from the hospital, but unfortunately do not record who treated them and as military admissions their case notes were sent to the MOD.

However I do have some case notes for discharged soldiers, c400-c500 bound in two very large volumes:

AHPR 1/1/269  Albert Ward , Medical and Surgical notes - mainly discharged soldiers , 1919 and

AHPR 1/1/288  Discharged Soldiers and Civilians - Griffith and Albert Wards, 1921,  there may be more.

These volumes are indexed at the beginning and list the patients by name and disease, I have had a quick look and most are admitted for medical or surgical reasons rather than for mental health reasons, but with the Fulbourn and Ida Darwin Hospitals nearby I think that is understandable.

If you think you would like to come to have a look at the notes to see if they may be of help, I would be delighted to show them to you.

As you will see I work part time so please contact me before you come to the hospital.

Hilary

Hilary Ritchie (Miss) Hospital Archivist

Hospital Archives Box 268

Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Cambridge Biomedical Campus | Hills Road | Cambridge | CB2 0QQ

Telephone 01223 586737

ext. 586737

I normally work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  If you contact me on other days,

I will return your message as soon as possible.

Please accept my apologies for any delay

Archives Blogpage: https://addenbrookesarchives.com/

Archives web- site: www.cuh.org.uk/archive

http://www.cuh.org.uk

This Trust is: part of the National Institute for Health Research - Cambridge Biomedical Research Centre and a member of Cambridge University Health Partners

This email is confidential, see www.cuh.org.uk/email_disclaimer.html